Welcome Volunteers. Do exactly what it says on the tin! Make visitors feel welcome in our Museum and Gallery.
Our Welcome Volunteers are the backbone of our Museum. They spend two hours, usually once a fortnight or week, in our galleries welcoming visitors from all over the world. They answer questions, guide, and highlight and explain the collections. They ask for feedback, promote events and also ensure the security of the collection on display. Most importantly, they make sure that visitors get the most from their time at the Museum!
What will I be doing?
- Offer a friendly and informative welcome to all visitors as the public face of the Museum of Oxford
- Develop a knowledge and interest of the museum’s collection – you do not need to be an expert, just enthusiastic to learn!
- Promote the Museum’s exhibitions, events and services
- Care for the collections and items on display by promoting/ensuring their safe and respectful treatment
- Support visitors using interactive and ‘hand-on’ activities
- Obtain customer comments via surveys and informal feedback
- Regular communication with the rest of the team, volunteers and staff
- Become familiar with and then follow the relevant procedures associated with this role at all times
When and how often?
Session times are:
- Monday to Saturday at 09.45-11.45, 11.30-13.30, 13.15-15.15 and 15.00-17.00
- You could do a session a week or a fortnight!
- You could do two sessions back to back, with a gap etc.
- Volunteering at the Museum of Oxford is flexible
We hope you will volunteer with us once a fortnight; you can do more or less though! Volunteering with us should fit around your own commitments.
Why get involved?
What is in it for you? We think quite a lot!
- You will be contributing to the community by helping in the work of the Museum
- Helping to keep a part of our heritage for future generations
- You get to meet a wide range of visitors from all around the world, make friendships with volunteers and staff
- Opportunities to develop skills and experience within the museum sector and use your knowledge and enthusiasm
- Work experience that can be an invaluable addition to your CV and building confidence
- Enjoyment in doing something you like while meeting new, like-minded people.
How to get involved?
Step 1: Sign into your account or sign up
Step 2: Accept the challenge
Step 3: Await a response from the team who will be in touch with more information or email
You must be over 16 to join in with this activity.
Please note that from 20th December until 3rd January we will not be in contact with you about volunteer roles. However, please do still show that you are interested by accepting this challenge and we will be in contact as soon as we can.
- Customer Service
- Event Stewarding
- Working independently
- Working with Young People
- Creative and Arts
- Visitor Service/ Front of House
- Curatorial/Working with Museum Collection